“Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a cleverer devil.”
- C. S. Lewis
As a part of my MBA curriculum's We Care social internship programme, I have got an opportunity to intern with Educate Girls and it has been a wonderful experience so far. Honestly, apart from some involvement in social activities conducted at my undergraduate college, my interaction with the social sector before this internship had been very limited.
The obvious question that I had before the internship started was, "What is the need to work in the social sector while pursuing a business-related course?" Thankfully, the question has been more than satisfactorily answered during my experience at Educate Girls. It has given me an opportunity to go beyond statistics and start off from a point where textbooks stop.
A book will tell me that 75% of the country is literate. But it does not tell me why the remaining 25% are not literate. And how many of the so-called literate people are actually aware about basic life skills? The rural areas are the places where the real India resides and sustainable development of these regions is critical for India's future. These are hard-hitting questions which need to be answered through constructive action. And this is where an organization like Educate Girls steps in.
I have been working on the reports, brochures and other publicity material which would help Educate Girls in creating awareness and raising funds for the noble cause it is pursuing. As an MBA student who intends to specialize in marketing, this experience has provided a good insight into brand communication practices in the social sector. For instance, creating a fund-raising brochure under the guidance of Ms. Safeena Husain, Executive Director and Ms. Nooreen Dossa, Communications Manager provided good learning about the challenges faced in condensing the extensive work done by the organization in just a couple of pages and yet make a convincing statement to individuals and corporates to come forward and contribute towards the cause.
It has just been a week working here and I know that this is just the proverbial tip of the iceberg. The coming weeks will help me in understanding the teething problems in girl education in India in a better way. I am thankful to my college (SBM, NMIMS Mumbai) and to Ms. Safeena, Ms. Nooreen and Mr. Abdur Rehman, Manager Account and Finance from Educate Girls for providing me this great opportunity and guiding me really well through this internship so far.
MBA Student (Intern at Educate Girls)
School of Business Management
NMIMS University, Mumbai